Friday, March 15, 2013

Goats for a girl’s educationGoats for a girl’s education

What is a girl’s education worth? What price do you put on potential? Parbitra Dalami is paying for her daughter’s education in goats! ◄◄Goats for a girl’s educationGoats for a girl’s education►► 
 When I saw a crowd of children on their way to school near my house, my eyes used to fill with tears. I struggled to collect some money for my daughter’s education, but I could get neither money nor support,” said Parbitra Dalami, 50, of Daldale village, Rupandehi. Because of poverty, she felt cut off from so many advantages, but she longed that her daughter would not suffer as she had. When she heard that UMN’s partner NASSO was going to launch a livelihoods project focusing on goat farming for marginal people in Daldale, she got all the information she could, and was keen to be part of a group. She learnt about goat breeding, shed management, feed and fodder, and also about goat parasites and diseases. With NRP 15,500 (USD 180) support from NASSO for a goat, an improved shed, and medicines, she started with just two goats. Now, her goat herd has grown from two to 22, and she has earned NRP 40,000 (USD 465) by selling goats, meat and kids. With this income, she has been able to buy basic requirements for her family of eight. People in her community respect her as a successful woman, a role model for others. She is happy to share her story in her village, where she never forgets to say: “And best of all, I can now provide a quality education for my daughter

0 comments:

Post a Comment